Obamacare open enrollment is reopening due to the coronavirus outbreak. President Joe Biden signed an executive order creating a special enrollment period (SEP) that was planned to last for 3 months, but has been extended to August 15th, 2021.
During this time all people shopping for individual or family insurance can buy or switch their insurance through the federal exchange.
When will open enrollment be open and for how long?
The Obamacare open enrollment will be reopened from February 15th, 2021 and will run through August 15th, 2021 for a total of 6 months.
Why is Biden reopening ACA open enrollment?
Joe Biden issued an executive order creating this 3-month SEP due to the coronavirus outbreak. He did this so that people who are uninsured, under-insured, or already enrolled but want to switch their health insurance plan can do so.
Can anyone get a health insurance plan during this open enrollment?
There was a previous expectation that only people who were uninsured could participate since that is the case with some states who launched their own COVID SEPs. These states included Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, and Washington D.C.
However, once CMS announced the details for the Obamacare open enrollment reopening it was clear that they wanted to cast a wide net and allow anyone who wanted to participate be able to enroll in or switch their coverage.
Are all health insurance carriers participate in the open enrollment?
Yes, all health insurance plans available through the federal exchange are participating in the Obamacare open enrollment reopening period.
How can I buy a health insurance plan during the reopened open enrollment?
You can enroll or switch your coverage through the federal exchange during the Obamacare open enrollment reopening. This will apply in all 36 states that use the federal health insurance exchange.
However, all state-run health insurance exchanges have also announced their own COVID related special enrollment periods. See that list below for COVID-SEP information for state-run insurance exchanges:
- California: February 1 to May 15
- Colorado: February 8 to August 15
- Connecticut: February 15 to August 15
- DC: Through the end of the pandemic emergency period
- Idaho: March 1 to April 30
- Maryland: Through August 15 (retroactive coverage is available, depending on when a person enrolls)
- Massachusetts: Through July 23
- Minnesota: February 16 to July 16
- Nevada: February 15 to August 15
- New Jersey: Through November 30
- New York: Through November 15
- Pennsylvania: February 15 to August 15
- Rhode Island: Through August 15
- Vermont: February 16 to May 14
- Washington: February 15 to August 15
If you have questions about the ACA Open Enrollment reopening or want to compare ACA plans available in your area, give us a call or check out individual and family health insurance plans today!